Betta fish bloated means a betta may suffer from swim bladder disease-causing constipation and consequently dropsy. Betta fish with dropsy has fewer chances of survival. More often, beta fishes are bloated when they are overfed or egg bounded.
Bloated Betta Fish
Various fatal diseases like swim bladder, dropsy, and constipation are the root causes of betta fish bloat. Bloated betta will look remarkably bigger than their actual size.
Dominant symptoms include popping out their eyes and bloated betta belly. Substandard water quality, bacterial infections, or internal parasites may sometimes appear bloat in fish.
Betta Fish Bloated Stomach
The tiny stomach of a betta fish is generally about the size of its eye. Bloated betta belly becomes swell and popped, expanding in size.
Sometimes, an enlarged belly is also very normal when a female betta is about to lay eggs, and overfeeding with nutrient-dense foods or a lack of fiber in diet often results in a bloated betta belly.
Betta Fish Bloated On one side
It is not compulsory that bloating always impacts both sides of the species. Many a time, betta fish bloated on one side.
Betta Fish Eyes
Betta fish Popeye is a disease-causing bloatedness, swelling, or inflammation in the eyes of the fish. Popeye itself is not a deadly ailment but being caused by another infectious disease may lead to the death of the fish.
Treatment of Popeyes Betta Fish
- Aquarium salt or Epsom salt is very beneficial to treat the infected eyes of bloated bettas as it helps to reveal swelling.
- The species should have to keep in this salty water for 10-15 minutes. (1/2 tsp per gallon or per 5 gallons of water)
- This procedure will need to be repeated twice or three times per day.
- You may also add and completely dissolve the Ampicillin antibiotic into the water. This is the best medication used in Popeye fish treatment.
- Changing and monitoring tank water regularly is also very favorable in this condition.
Bloated Betta fish constipation is the most common disease in betta fishes that leads to bloatedness. The main reason for that is your betta is lacking proper diet or the provided food is of low quality.
Another main reason that may lead your betta to suffer from constipation is overfeeding of food. Always ensure that your betta is taking its regular feed and protect them from overconsuming.
Betta pine coning means a betta acquires dropsy. It is not a disease but recognized as a severe bacterial infection. Bloated Betta fish dropsy often results due to high ammonia in the water, low dissolved oxygen, gill damage, heart disease, Infections, tumors, improper tank mates or other factors, etc.
Dropsy often leads to the death of the fish but if it is acknowledged earlier there are more chances that your bloated fish does survive a battle with dropsy as it can be cured.
Betta Swim Bladder Disorder
Swim bladder disease results in bloated betta belly caused by overfeeding the fish or complete loss of appetite. Bloated betta with such disease is unable to swim properly.
Experts say that you must keep your fish without feeding one day a week to help them in better digestion of food and by this, they refrain from constipation and bloating.
- Related: Deep Sea Fishes
Bloated Betta Fish Treatment
Bloated bettas can only be recovered in the given following ways:
- Firstly, shift your infected betta to the hospital tank
- Secondly, add 1 teaspoon or 1/8 tsp of Epsom salt per gallon of water
- Then feed the fish with healthy and good-quality foods
- Also, supply the species with antibiotics either through food or in the water.
- Lastly and most importantly, check the water of the tank on a regular basis and make it suitable for the fish.
Bloated Betta Fish poop
Betta fish poop from the small opening right at its anal film front. The size of their poop is small as it comprises a tiny stomach.
- First of all, check that your betta fish poop is discolored or not.
- If its color is white or yellow it could be a sign that your fish is ill.
- Stringy poop is also a sign of an ailment.
- Must ensure that your betta is pooping regularly and doesn’t look bloated.
Betta fish may develop a bloated, swollen belly due to swim bladder ailment, constipation, or dropsy. Overfeeding or eggs bounding may also cause a bloated belly. The presence of visual bloat (pine-conning shape) is a classic symptom of dropsy. Betta fish can bloat on both sides of the stomach or sometimes on one side of the stomach. Stringy poop is also a sign of sickness. These fishes bloating also leads to Popeye fish (bloated betta fish eyes).
1. Why is my betta fish bloated?
Betta fish is bloated because of the below-mentioned reasons:
- Swim bladder disorder
- Egg bound
- Loss of appetite
- Bad water conditions
- Stress because of tank mates
If you want to learn more about pets visit us at petshoods